Forget about dubious and baseless tricks on how to extend the life of your makeup. It is better that you follow the recommendations for its storage, know its expiration date and, above all, apply it with hygiene.
After you have bought makeup, you want it to be always available. However, if you leave it for a while, it may not be in good condition when you use it again. For this reason, we offer you some tips to extend the life of your makeup.
Table of Contents
It is normal for makeup to be spoiled. This is because, normally, we do not take care when storing it : we leave it loose in the bag, in the bathroom … This can cause that, after having bought it even recently, when we are going to use it, it is not in good condition.
On the other hand, you must be careful and keep in mind that makeup in poor condition can cause damage to your skin. So prevention is better than cure, so take note of our tips to extend the life of your makeup.
Expiration date and shelf life of your makeup
First of all, you should bear in mind that cosmetics and makeup also have an expiration date . So when buying them, keep in mind when they expire. Indeed, the problem is not only that the pigments and the quality of the makeup decrease, but that they can even lead to problems such as rashes, itching or conjunctivitis.
Thus, for example, in wet products such as mascara , bacteria find an ideal environment to proliferate. Therefore, it is much better to discard the use of expired makeup, even if it seems fine to us.
Store it in the right place
Normally, we usually leave makeup where we put makeup on: in the bathroom. In addition, it is very normal that we put it in the bag to have it available during the day.
However, if you read the label of your makeup, you will notice that it is recommended that it be stored in a cool and dry place. Therefore, the bathroom is one of the least suitable places to store it .
Indeed, it is much better that we store it in another place, such as the bedroom, preferably closed in its container and according to the recommendations of “cool and dry place”, that is, away from moisture.
On the other hand, if we simply put it in the bag, we can cause it to open accidentally. Thus, in addition to spoiling the bag and the rest of the things we have in it, the makeup will split or mix, spoiling. In this way, it is better to place it inside a makeup bag and separated from the rest of things.
In order to maximize the life of your makeup, hygiene is essential when using it . In fact, if you don’t follow certain rules, it is possible that it will fill with bacteria and spoil. Because:
- Never share makeup. If you do, use an individual applicator (stick, own brush, etc.)
- Use applicators (brushes, brushes, etc.) whenever you can. Plus, periodically renew and wash these applicators
- Avoid using your hands. If you do, wash them before .
- Do not change the original container . Normally, manufacturers use a type of container that is perfectly compatible with makeup chemicals , so they are the best option to keep it in perfect condition.
Learn about the life of your makeup
Each product has its shelf life. By following the above storage and hygiene tips, they can reach the maximum of their useful life:
- Foundation, eyeshadow, and concealers usually last about 2 years.
- The mascara is one of the most sensitive products. Therefore, it is recommended to use them in about three or four months.
- For their part, lipsticks can have a useful life of around 3 years.
- Brushes and brushes . Obviously, applicators do not have an expiration date. However, it is necessary to maintain certain hygiene guidelines and even disinfect them from time to time . It is recommended that you wash them with soap and water after each use. Then allow them to dry well to prevent them from accumulating moisture.
In short, if you notice that your makeup breaks, smells bad, is dry or its consistency has been altered, it is better to discard it. Indeed, it is preferable to take into account certain factors when buying it (expiration date), when storing it and when applying it (hygiene), so that they can reach the maximum of their useful life.