One of the main beauty problems is the early appearance of gray hair . This is an inevitable sign of age that worries many people, especially those who experience gray hair at a young age.
Luckily, there are natural ways to decrease the early appearance of gray hair and reduce its appearance . Although there are several commercial treatments that could help, natural options are a good alternative to take care of hair without risking side effects.
Causes of the early appearance of gray hair
Table of Contents
Gray hair appears when melanin production stops . As the years pass and according to the habits of each person, melanin is reduced and the appearance of gray hair occurs.
The American Academy of Dermatology revealed that more than half of the world’s population over the age of 45 has gray hair . Among the main causes of the early appearance of gray hair we find:
- High levels of stress (according to this study by the Chungnam National University College of Medicine in Korea.
- Genetic factors.
- Having unhealthy habits like smoking. This is stated in this research carried out by the Jordan University Hospital.
- Having emotional problems . (Although more scientific evidence is needed in this regard).
Natural remedies against gray hair
The following natural remedies can help reduce the early appearance of gray hair and improve the appearance of hair. These remedies should be applied frequently , as the results are not immediate.
1. Onion against gray hair
The onion has multiple applications in health and beauty thanks to its high content of nutrients. It can be applied directly to the scalp to minimize the appearance of gray hair.
In a study by the University of Bradford it was shown that onion has an enzyme called catalase. This component decreases the hydrogen peroxide that accumulates in the hair follicles causing discoloration .
In addition, applying onion could also improve the health of our hair.
2. Henna to dye hair
The henna is a natural powder used for dyeing hair without suffering the side effects of chemicals. It is an option for people who have a sensitive scalp or who react negatively to the dyes that we can find in supermarkets.
It gives a reddish tone to the hair, but it can also be mixed with other ingredients to achieve different shades.
3. Walnut leaves
Walnut leaves are an alternative treatment to naturally cover and decrease gray hair. These leaves contain a substance called juglone, which is a natural dye used in the cosmetic industry .
- To take advantage of its benefits, prepare an infusion of walnut leaves, let it rest for 15 minutes and apply it to the hair.
4. Sage lotion
Sage is believed to be another of those herbs that have natural dyes that help tone hair and thus conceal gray hair. However, there are no studies that certify this claim. This would be the known remedy in this regard:
- To darken the hair color and cover the gray hair, prepare an infusion of sage.
- Boil the leaves for 30 minutes.
- Then apply it to your hair and repeat at least 3 times a week.
This herb has become very popular in terms of hair care, as it is said to stimulate its growth , as stated in this study by the Kinki University in Osaka.
- Rosemary provides high levels of caffeic acid and rosmarinic acid, which also act as antioxidants.
- ¼ cup rosemary
- ¼ cup of sage.
- 2 cups of water (400 ml).
How do I prepare it?
- Bring the water to a boil, add the herbs, let it sit overnight and apply to all hair and scalp.
Which of these natural remedies against early gray hair will you try first? We encourage you to try them all to choose the one you like the most, it works for you and better covers the gray hair.